What's in a number?

Ever since I started blogging on the internet back in 2000, I have been obsessed with numbers. I have been obsessed more than some folks and less than others. I mean some people are so obsessed with numbers that they write a million blog posts a day just to get traffic to their pages and even write posts about the fact they are angry about others overtaking them in the stats department? Okay, I am not that obsessed! So, as you all know, I am finishing a job soon and I got quite obsessed with counting down the days until I was done. Well, a couple of weeks ago it hit me that I shouldn't be counting down days. I'm not really sure where this thought came from? I just felt really convicted to stop counting. Since then, I've been in the book of Samuel and the Lord is really explicit about his dislike of numbering things. I mean, David sends Joab out to number the armies and Joab asks him why he wants to aggravate the Lord in this manner? The result of his numbering, which took a full 9 months, was a plague that killed 70,000 people! Then I remembered I wrote in a recent blog about dreaming I should read the book of James. This verse jumped out at me again and spoke to me:

James 4

13Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 15Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” 16As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. 17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

It occurred to me who am I to say how many days I have until I move on to the next thing or finish the current thing? I really think counting days was sinfully arrogant on my part and I would just like to thank the Lord for convicting me to stop. Who am I? I am a girl who loves Jesus. I want what he wants. :)

3 comments:

theaceofclubz said...

Wowzas
This posting was only made more comical by the running ticker you had of those that were destined to hell that ran alongside it. What is in a number after all? Obviously not quite enough to give up the privileged spot in a western society that you occupy. Its cool. The people in Darfur were destined for hell anyways, right? I'm sure you're living just as biblegod wanted you to. Make sure girl is good first before jesus. Dammit, I think 1,500 unprivileged souls were condemned during my writing of this post, because a perfect omniscient creator decided that they should be born in areas so they could not hear your word. And before you can say its their sins that condemn them to hell, Its god who created them knowing they would not live up to the standard of jesus, and therefor boil forever. What a cheery prospect. I can only wonder why its hard to sell it.

michelle said...

Since you want to point out the terrible things happening in Darfur and blame them on God, what exactly are you doing for the people of Darfur? What are you doing for the troubled souls who live in your own neighborhood? There is no standard to live up to. Salvation is a free gift to anyone who repents and trust Jesus as his Savior. You sound like a very angry, self righteous person. I'll pray for you.

pastorbrianculver said...

just remember that people hate God. They truly hate God. It is not until they have been drawn to Him by His power that they finally realize how much God loves them. I pray you are doing well. Keep the full armor of God on!