051708

Do you feel like you serve the Lord enough? Most days I wake up and all I want to do is serve the Lord, in any way, in any place. I always wake up with good intentions, but then I get distracted and go about my day without much more thought to what He would have me do for Him. I wake up and pray for opportunities to serve Him, to share the gospel with someone who needs to hear good news. The other day I was walking because I am trying to become fit and healthy. I live in a really upper class town because when I traveled here almost four years ago my company rented me my apartment here. I don't see homeless folks around this town too often because it is too high class and the police do their best to keep out the "riff raff". As I was walking, I noticed a young girl sleeping on a park bench. She was pretty and wasn't too shabby looking and I didn't give her too much thought. I don't know what I was thinking other than she didn't look like a typical homeless person. I went on my way and that was that. Today, I went walking again and I saw the same girl wearing the exact same clothing as the other day. This time she was awake and thumbing through a magazine. I wrote a letter to the Lord this morning and it said:

Dear God,

I really want to be able to answer people, to tell them the reason for the hope in me. Please help me know You so well I can answer the hard questions. Please help me do that with love. There is definitely not enough love in this world. Thank You for waking me. Thank You for loving me the way You do. Please lead me to someone who needs to hear great news! I love You!

<3 m

When I passed this girl, my heart started to race. I kept walking and I prayed for courage because I wanted to speak to her on my way back. When I came back, I walked right up to her and told her I saw her the other day and asked her if she was okay. She insisted she was fine and she is in town visiting friends and just likes to sit at that spot. I listened. I asked her about herself, where she is from, family stuff, job stuff. Everything she told me sounded good, but I just sensed she is not ok and too proud to ask for help. She is just 22. I asked her if she needed any prayer and she smiled and laughed and said no. I also sensed she is a closed book. I told her to be careful and I got up to leave. I started to walk away and turned back with one last thought. "Do you have a pen?" I asked. She did and I gave her my number and told her to call me if she needed anything. She took my name and number politely. I smiled and told her to be careful again and that maybe we could grab a meal. She said maybe we could and that she walks around that spot so I will keep my eyes out for her.

As I walked away, I couldn't help feeling like I didn't do enough for the Lord. I didn't share the gospel at all, but then I remembered my prayer of sharing love. I have the gift of mercy. I love to encourage folks and build them up. I prayed for an opportunity and the Lord led me right to her. I need to stop questioning what I do for the Lord, whether it's good enough or not. I need to remember that He gives us the ability to serve Him in the way He deems fit, for His glory, no matter how big or small the task. I just have to follow His lead and go. My prayer is I made a new friend today and I will see her again and share that meal with her for the glory of God. :)

No comments: